Even a number of sieges could not break Nieuwpoort's spirit. It rose from its ashes with more charm than ever before.
- Above all, it is a safe home port for its fishermen, for thousands of water-sports enthusiasts and for all its guests. Stirring monuments, pleasant squares, impressive shopping-streets and restful parks.
- The result of a successful town renovation.
- When you speak of Nieuwpoort, you also speak of sun, sea and sand.
- A definite family seaside resort with a 'sea' of recreational facilities on or along the fine sandy beach and the traffic-free promenade.
- You'll also find al kinds of fauna and flora in nature reserve 'De IJzermonding', in the dunes en the hinterland ...
|AM||-° 7°||3 4||SSE||70%|
|PM||-° 8°||3 4||SSE||1 hour||70%|
|Night||2° -°||3 2||ENE VAR||70%|
|PM||-° 5°||2||VAR||1 hour||70%|
|Night||5° -°||4 5||SW||70%|
|Day||5° 8°||5||SW||1 hour||70%|
|Day||5° 8°||3||SSW||1 hour||50%|
Le vent souffle où il veut
This piece was designed by artist Daniel Buren. He wanted to make a piece for Beaufort03 which would give the public the illusion of a wood. Instead of putting down trees, Buren created a design for a hundred flag poles with weathercocks in different colours.
Bike- and hiking promenade
The channel of approx. 2 km runs between the marina and the North Sea. In Nieuwpoort-Bad it can be crossed with a daily operating ferryboat. On the right bank is the nature reserve 'De IJzermonding' next to the dunes of the former naval base of Lombardsijde. A bike and hiking promenade is built along the channel.
On the sluice complex stands a monument for the fallen Belgian front soldiers and their commander King Albert I. Under the monument a new visitor centre was built in 2014 with a fascinating expo about the impact of WW-I in this area.
De Lenspolder - Children's farm
The fact of bringing children in contact again with life on a farm. The farm has a yard with scratching poultry, rabbits, a pond with different sorts of ducks and turtles, a meadow with goats, sheep, pigs, little horses and other hoofed animals.
Ooster- en Westerstaketsel
Visit the biggest yacht harbour in Europa.
By car: from Great-Britain by boat via Zeebrugge, Ostend, Dunkerque or Calais, or via the Chunnel in Calais.
If coming via France, take the highway E 40 direction to Gent, exit n° 3 Nieuwpoort.
If arriving via Ostend, take the directions to Nieuwpoort via the national roads or take the motorway A 10, direction Brussels. After some 10 km. take the exit direction Veurne and Calais (Motorway E 40) and then exit 3 Nieuwpoort.
If arriving via Zeebrugge, take first directions to Bruges and Brussels. Near Bruges, take the motorway E 40, direction to Veurne and Calais, exit n° 3 Nieuwpoort.
By train: after reaching the train stations of Ostend or De Panne, you have a connection by tram to Nieuwpoort;