Belgian Coast Greeters
Become a greeter
Do you love your town and do you like meeting people? Why not become a Greeter?
Are you fascinated about your Coastal City and do you like meeting people from all over the world to share that passion? If you have answered yes to that question then you are a suitable candidate for the Belgian Coast Greeters' network, where voluntary Greeters guide visitors for free as a first introduction to their Coastal Town.
A Greeter is at his best in his own local environment. Your free time, your language or languages of preference and your specific interests are matched with visitor applications. As a Belgian Coast Greeter you welcome the visitors to your Coastal Town and take them on a free tour to some of your favourite places. You can share with them your personal experiences and anecdotes on the town and you give answers where possible. During their stay at the Belgian Coast, visitors often do not know where to find the best places to go or those hidden gems. As a Greeter, you can familiarize them with this!
The visitors did not submit any specific preferences? In that case you discuss at the start of the visit what they would like to see and know, and together you can determine the route. Please note it is not expected that this should be a professional tour. If visitors require this service they are referred to the traditional tour guides. As an enthusiastic volunteer you are acting as an ambassador of your Coastal City and you are sharing the knowledge and experiences that you have gained as a local resident. Visitors love to hear stories told by the locals, so share those stories!
What is expected from me as a Belgian Coast Greeter?
- I am passionate about my Coastal City, a neighbourhood or aspect of my Coastal Town, and I want to share this knowledge and enthusiasm with national and international visitors.
- I am hospitable, friendly and can tell a story enthusiastically.
- I love to meet new people.
- You can count on me because I always keep my appointments.
- I am available at least 6 times a year for a minimum of 2 hours.
- I possess a mobile phone and/or an e-mail address.
- I am applying to be a volunteer and know that this service is given for free.
- I agree with the conditions as described in the Belgian Coast Greeters Charter (pdf).
All Greeters and Greeter destinations share the same core values:
- Greeters are volunteers, a friendly face for those visiting a city/destination.
- Greeters welcome individuals and may serve small groups of up to six people.
- Meeting a Greeter is free of charge.
- Visitors are welcomed without any kind of discrimination.
- Greeter programs support sustainable tourism. Programs respects natural and man-made environments, it brings both cultural and economical enrichment to the local communities. Programs aim for a lasting positive image of each destination.
- Greeter programs create a mutually enriching opportunity for cultural exchange, create links between ordinary people in creating a better world.
Would you like becoming one of our Belgian Coast Greeters?
Do you like the sound of becoming one of our Belgian Coast Greeters?
Contact us for more information or fill in the form. We will get in touch with you!
Due to the corona crisis, opening hours and timetables may vary. If in doubt, it is best to contact the entrepreneur himself.
Are you going out in your own country more often this summer? Subscribe to our newsletter and receive monthly tips for recreational excursions in West Flanders!